Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Soul Crushing Work with Those Who Won't: Cal

The teachers told me about him before he ever arrived for STAAR bootcamp. For the entire year, he had disrupted class and refused to do ANY work. Capable. Agreeable and likable. What? Who does that? 

But he arrived at summer school on time, smiling, smartly dressed and well-groomed. He flirted with the girl next to him, charming her with his banter, preventing her from completing the introductory tasks. 

So I pulled up and sat next to him. He smiled, ignored me, and continued his budding relationship. 

Using the paper we were supposed to be referencing for the DO-NOW, I asked the same question aloud to engage the pair in the academic conversation. Again, he looked at me, smiled politely, and continued his unrelated conversation. 

I began writing on the paper. 

Cal - I know you hate me being here and asking you to engage in the lesson. Apologies. 

I nudged his elbow and he read the paper. He looked away after reading. He smirked and returned to talk to the girl, but she had stopped talking and was looking at her paper. 

How do we best help you? 

Imperceptible shrug. 

My heart wants success for you.

He watched as I scribbled. Breathing. Maybe a nod? Eye contact. 

I'm really worried about kids like you that just don't care and want to be left alone. What do I do? 

No response. 

What do I do? 

He stared at me. Emotionless. 

It's obvious that you can.But you don't. 

Nodded. 

So...don't hate me. I help write your lessons and assessments.

He smiled and laughed a little. 

It's important to me. My goal is: Are kids fools? Or can they read and make decisions to prove they CAN'T be taken advantage of. 

No response. But he was reading along as I wrote. 

I feel like teaching people to read is my purpose in life...my charge from God. I guess I care about it too much. 

He tilted his head to the side. Eye contact. Blank face. 

There are lots of people like you. What is the solution? 

Pause. Nothing. 

We'd be RICH if we could fix that problem. :)

A wry smile. 

Can I be honest and cuss? 

A Smile. A nod. 

This test IS bullshit. 

So...when I meet someone like you...I worry. And...I feel like a failure. I don't have a clue about how to help. 

Clearly, it's not an intelligence issue or a reading comprehension issue. HOW do we help reach...connect to...help YOU? 

The instruction had moved from the DO-NOW to an activity at the chart paper where learners evaluated text evidence. 

He spoke. 

"I'm gonna go over there." 

He actively participated for the rest of the day. Ignored me actively as well. 

The following days of summer school, his desk was empty. On the English I retest day, he came for 30 minutes and left. He didn't come for the English II exam. 




2 comments:

  1. This. This is heartbreaking, yet it mirrors my experiences as well. 💔

    ReplyDelete
  2. He gave you the answer. He sees no value in the test. He has no ownership and it has no relevance. Kids have figured out they can do a project and still graduate. The compliant kids do it and usually try. The defiant and disconnected won't.

    ReplyDelete