Thursday, December 15, 2016

x's and o's

I finally had time to write a thank you letter. I am so blessed to work in a profession with teachers (Region 16), publishers (Corwin), book lovers and sellers (QEP), and experts (Gretchen Bernebei). The last two years have been a tremendous series of events and accomplishments through some of the greatest sorrows I have ever experienced. Yet, the people around  me continue to bless me and validate my sincere efforts to make a difference. Thank you! Here's the letter I sent yesterday. 

Dear Gretchen (and Craig and Catherine)

Earlier this year, I was delivering a staff development session  on Writing Across the Curriculum in a nearby district. I had just come home from the Corwin Institute where  Gretchen presented some incredible ideas. I knew she was a genius, but had not seen the kernel essays in action. For the district’s training, I started out with the activity using the “Damage” example that Gretchen shared at the conference from her book. I noticed that one table (coaches) were not participating as I introduced the activity. So, when it came time to share the initial kernel essays, I sat down at their table to participate.

One of the coaches looked at me over his football arrows to x’s and o’s, “You’re really going to make us do this, aren’t you?”

“Why, yes!” I exclaimed with my best Southern-bless-your-heart-twang and fluttered my eyes innocently.

They quickly scribbled kernel essays to share with their groups. When I started playing FDR's speech about the bombing of Pearl Harbor,  the strategy had their full attention. These middle school coaches immediately saw the beauty and genius of Gretchen's approach. We then placed the speech on a google document  and began to examine the author’s craft and applied it as revisions to our initial kernel essays.

The rest of the day seemed to go well. We closed that day with kernel essays. Teachers read kernel essay exit tickets to campus and district administration about what they had learned that day during staff development and what they planned to do as a result. Incredible, really. I packed up my things and drove back to Amarillo, knowing that you each provided excellent resources that will impact many students and teachers.

I meant to write this note to you all as a Thanksgiving note in appreciation for Gretchen's work and Corwin and QEP’s sponsorship of my registration to the conference. That day passed. I thought about writing this note as a remembrance of the infamous December 7th that inspired the kernel lesson Gretchen shared at the conference. That day slipped by as well. Now that classes are winding down, I had a moment to consider my blessings this year. I couldn’t let one more day pass without sharing my gratitude and the impact your gifts have had on my life and teachers that I support.

Later that night of the staff development I mentioned above, my phone buzzed with a text message that continues to tickle my heart. Perhaps it will bring a smile to yours as well.







Of course I responded, “Hello!” when I answered the next ring.

Merry Christmas and Thank You for the Blessing of Your Friendship and Support!


Shona 

1 comment:

  1. I love this, Shona! Really useful writing lessons help us say what we need to say.

    Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete