Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Fluency is a Tool

At the recent TALE conference, I presented on Fluency. While I had planned to recreate what I had learned in the Reading Academy about setting goals for kids and fluency, something more important happened instead.

It fits right in with what I am learning about blending reading, writing, and thinking. It fits right in with what I feel about breaking down complex work into such small segments that kids no longer have to think or reason nor do they see a purpose in such ridiculous endeavors. It fits right in with what I believe is our moral imperative as educators - to teach people how to USE what we teach to make meaning, make decisions, and change the world.

I'm also finding that a blog is no longer the best medium for my work. While a blog may be the best way I can get this information out to folks and to track who sees it, it's not curated for meaning. There's so much that went into this session that I want to share.

First, there is the reflection and lesson application that I created after leading the session at TALE. This link gives you access to the ideas and resources. But I can add a visual metaphor to it. I chose the one on this page because you must internalize theory and turn it into practice that gets used with students. See if you think the image helps convey that message. 

Then, there is the the powerpoint I created with the notes and the linked resources to the session.

But more important. I know that I will keep learning about Fluency. And this blog post will drift down to the years and months of posts as I continue to write. And it will be lost. Sure, you could search for it. But you won't. Neither will I.

But I can create a static place that houses the resources that you can return to. And I can keep adding as I learn and grow. So here's the whole enchilada on Fluency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment