Thursday, February 1, 2018

Teaching Tips for #metoo

My son, JJ, was working through a training manual for his business. He sent me a screen shot:


"When erasing the board, use vertical strokes; your hips will show the least amount of movement. Horizontal strokes make hips shake, Which students may find humorous and thus distracting."

 Then he followed with a text: "Mom, do you have a lesson on this in teacher school?!"

Bwahhhaaaaaaaaahhhhaaaa! OMG! I remember a class with Dr. Bates at WT about how to write on the chalkboard. But NO ONE told me to be aware of how my actions would make my ass shake. Which is more of a problem now than I am older and heavier with sagging skin. When I stop moving, it keeps shaking...but I digress.

I don't see many chalkboards nowadays. But we have white-boards and document cameras. And now we have the #metoo movement.

So JJ, yes, we should have lessons on this in teacher school. As teachers, we must be aware of how we purposefully present ourselves and how that might be perceived by students.

No comments:

Post a Comment