Sunday, January 2, 2022

The Baker's Post Christmas Advent 8

 

Mom has a saying for when we make food for company: Some is good, more is better, and too much is just enough. To make the jalapeno bread, I layer the flavors. I buy the biggest, brightest green, straight (vs curves) and roundest jalapenos I can find. I don’t get ones that are yellow or red looking or the ones with brown striations (not enough water during growing cycle). I deseed and put six in the blender with two bricks of cream cheese and a tablespoon of Spike or Beau Monde. Sometimes I add other seasonings like Italian seasoning. Just depends on what I have around the house. A little milk makes it smooth and pourable. Next, I dice a few of them to put in over the cream cheese mixture. Then I slice some for the top, saving the stems for decoration and placing it all in oil so they don’t shrivel when baking. I mix the oil into the egg wash too. Sometimes I use pickled ones, but the fresh ones are my fav. Seeds go into the “thank you for coming” bowl that end up in the compost or are eaten by O'henry, our itinerant opossum.  Once the braids are baked, I put on some everything bagel stuff and some red pepper flakes. Most of the time, I just use whatever cheese I have around. Wonder if I should try some pepper jack? Too much? But this is just like our Jesus. He didn’t give some or more. He gave his all. He thought too much is just enough for those He loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment