Tuesday, September 22, 2026

CREST'S Change Express, Station Wagons, and What we can Control...

 When I was going to Avondale Elementary in 1st grade, my babysitter (Faye Hawkins), had a maroon station wagon. She'd pick me up on days of "inclement" weather. I'd beg to ride in the back. Most days, the answer was no. They only used the back when they had the whole crew of five boys. 

But that back seat was so cool! Most of the time, it was folded down and hidden to make room for all the groceries and gear required for a family of that size. When the seat folded up, you'd face backward and your feet would feel like they were in a bucket where you'd think the spare tire would go. I swear, you could feel the road inches below the soles of your feet. 

At this point, my introduction is too long. It reminds me of those AI formulary marketing posts...telling you some personal anecdote only to tell you that their point all along was to connect their emotional story to some odd relevance to the product they are hawking. Yuck. 

But - here's my point: As I attend my 48th CREST this month...what the hell? Oh...the point: 

As I attend CREST this morning, the theme is the Change Express. And for this conference, I'm in the back of the wagon, facing where we have come. Still in the vehicle...but I'm not driving. I see it all from where we have been and where all of this is taking us...all after someone else has seen it coming...after others have watched it pass, perhaps in a blur. 

Kevin Tutt is speaking about how we deal with all of that. Encouragement types while we are on the journey. People getting it done. People watching, surviving. And the Complainers. 

Somehow, I'm a hybrid encourager. I'm not getting much done. Just some. Some is good. And all y'all know I complain. But lately, I'm pondering, watching, and wondering: Am I still relevant? How can I serve, still? 

Kevin says that we can control the experiences we deliver with consistency, commitment, and movement. These things remain for me: I am here for the joy of literacy. My service GPS is still there...I might be recalculating and re-routing. But I'm still moving with you. 

And SO glad we are traveling together. Our common destination is constant. And the GPS doesn't complain or get angry - even if we do. So we don't have to give up even if we are lost. We might never get "there" during my tenure. But so glad to still be on the Change Express with all of you. 

I'm in the back seat, feeling the road hard along the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment