Tuesday, January 23, 2018

X Marks the Spot

*Warning: This is not what I normally write. These words may need one of those black screens that cover graphic images on Facebook.

Traffic on Georgia and James Louis seemed sluggish. It took quite a while to pull into the the stream. The cars in front of me slowly swerved, one by one, in slow arcs around this scene.

A beautiful golden retriever lay in the road. Half  on the curb. His head on the asphalt, Red blood pooling under his clouded brown eyes. 

The woman stood from her place by his side, sobbing, and walked toward her car. 
A man in a blue car drove up the wrong way in the access to the houses.
She saw him coming. She hadn't seen the dog. 

And the rest of us...continued our funeral procession 
well past the flashing school zone light.

I didn't see what happened after that. Both parties grieving...and now I sit at the screen with hot eyes and tears that will make it hard to see through my contacts for the rest of the day. But bless that poor lady. And thank her for staying by the dog until his owner returned. She did the right thing. And I admire her.

No comments:

Post a Comment