Friday, April 7, 2017

Identifying syntax is a waste of time...

We had just finished a lesson sequence involving several key mentor texts and analyzing how the authors used syntax, dialogue, details, and imagery to express more about a character, develop the plot, or express a theme. Identifying syntax is a waste of time, but understanding why it is used and then asking students to show evidence that they can employ the same strategy in their own writing? Keep reading to see if you agree: 

Clarissa was trying to communicate that "telling the truth is important to me." Watch her writing transform as she applies details and syntax to her message.

Before: “A light bulb appeared. For two reasons, I decided to carve the name Marcus. Firstly because it was easy to spell. Secondly Marcus was just an easy target. After I did the deed I put the box cutter where I found it and left.”

She underlined this sentence: “After I did the deed I put the box cutter where I found it and left.” She explained to the teacher in her group that she wanted to go deeper into how deliberate she was in carving her brother’s name – to emphasize later why it was so important for her to tell the truth about what she did to her brother. 

On her reflection paper, she said that her revision “emphasized when I was carving my brothers name in the bathroom sink.” She wanted the reader to see her complete that act, and she circled that she used details and imagery to accomplish that. Although she didn’t explicitly mark syntax, her revision utilized a long sentence to explicitly draw out each deliberate act:

After: “A light bulb appeared. For two reasons, I decided to carve the name Marcus. Firstly because it was easy to spell. Secondly Marcus was just an easy target. Holding the box cutter in my hand, I carefully carved out the name Marcus, slowly spelling it out in my head M…A…R…C…U…S...once finished I took a step back to admire my work. Satisfied, I put the box cutter where I found it and left.

In reflecting on her learning from the day, Clarissa proved she internalized the lessons about details, imagery, and syntax: “a longer or short sentence can affect the way you perceive a story.” THIS. THIS child’s work proves that she understands the TEK! She can complete a literary analysis of her own writing as well as utilize author’s craft purposefully to communicate her theme. And I bet, when she enters a published text, she will be successful in analyzing the author’s craft and the reason behind it.

Today, I’m Clarissa’s raving fan!



No comments:

Post a Comment