Monday, October 9, 2017

Teaching Beyond the Basics of the TEK

Today, I found this buried in my emails. Things I haven't had time to deal with, but are probably more important than many of the other things I have attended to. There's a blessing that I often give to others, that God may multiply their rest. I'm hopin' that you all can be a blessing and multiply solutions for this teacher. Seems like we have been preaching this message -  shouting about paradigm shifts away from behaviorism and instructional practices that fit better in the age of industrialism than the 21st century -  but are we speaking plain English? 

"As I read through the STAAR test, I am having some realizations. I know so many teachers (myself included) who spend so much time having the students memorize root words, memorize figurative language such as simile, metaphor, etc. and memorize the plot elements. So on and so on. 

The questions on the STAAR test provide the meaning of the root word by providing the box that says "from Latin navis (ship) + agere (drive)." 

The figurative language question says "the author uses a simile in this sentence to reveal..."

A plot question says "Why do paragraphs 23 and 24 mark a turning point in the story?"


Not once do they ask the direct meaning of a root word from memorization or ask to pick out a simile or ask the meaning of climax, rising action, etc. Think about how much time teachers are wasting with definitions, vocab and memorization when its ALL about comprehension. Do you think teachers don't know how to teach past the basics of the TEK such as what I was doing with plot? What are some ideas that teachers could use to get past the basics of the TEK?" 

What do I tell her? 

2 comments:

  1. I have come to realize the importance of prefixes, suffixes and root words (with or without the test). By knowing the meaning of these, people (myself included) have tools for figuring out unfamiliar words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teacher Talk: agreed. But the point remains - how do we USE affixes and roots as more than tools to figure out what a word means? How do we USE our context clues to help us understand the author's message? How do we USE our context clues and word knowledge to comprehend?

      Delete