Monday, October 9, 2017

Teaching Past the Basics of Plot TEKS

The Thinking Teacher: I just love your entire response to my question. So do you think it's still imperative that the kids know the vocab and where they happen in a story? 

Me: Vygotsky says, “Language gives access to the thought.” So yes. I think that knowing the terminology allows students to understand the concepts they represent. It gives them the language to discuss the story. How do you discuss a concept that you didn’t know existed. I think it's like studying wine. They give you these little vials to sniff and categorize and take notes about. If you know what it is called when you smell it, you are more able to detect the essence when you taste or smell it in a bottle of wine. Knowing and naming the smell, gives you the ability to detect and smell it later. 

The Thinking Teacher: I feel they need to know that first before they can use the plot elements to comprehend.

Me: I wonder if it is backwards and wibbly wobbly like Dr. Who’s concept of time. I tend to believe that people don’t need to know what the terms are until they need to use the concept. Everyone needs a reason to use something. Like Algebra. I can do that equation thing (x-3)(2x+5) but it means nothing to me because I have no clue about why I would ever need to. I think that’s the same thing about plot terminology. You don’t really care about the terms until you need to do something with the terms. You don’t really remember the terms until they are used as conceptual tools help you comprehend. 

The Thinking Teacher: I think we as teachers just need to take it a step further and teach how to use plot to comprehend. 

Me: YES! You are on the money. That's the only reason you need plot until you start writing one. 

The Thinking Teacher: I had a student ask me today "how is your book going?" (I read a book during independent reading time as well) I responded "I am at such a good part where the girls just saw the ghost in the haunted mansion!" She said "so you're at the Climax?" I was soooo excited she was even using the vocab and relating the story to plot. :) She is one of my lower students. 

Me: Was that the climax? Was that THE climax? There can be more than one in the plots and subplots present in the novel and as experienced by characters.  One of my favorite spots for learners is when they are at the pseudo-concept phase of learning. It means that they are trying on the use of the concept, but don't have it quite right yet. It means that they are SOOOOO close. You are doing the right things to get her used to "approximating a proficient model" in a "risk free zone" that Brian Camboune talks about in the Conditions of Learning. 

The Thinking Teacher: Another problem is a lot of my students think Climax is just "the most exciting part of they story." They do not realize they have to find a shift/turning point in the story. 

Me: Again – you are insightful. One of my kids in reading lab asked one time, “How do you tell when the rising action stops and climax starts?” I didn’t realize then that their misconception was connected to their “opinion” about the most exciting part rather than the structure of the plot. And sometimes, the climax isn’t the high point on the roller coaster, the explosion in an action packed thriller, or the twist at the end of a movie. Climax in different narrative subgenres looks different for each genre.

The Thinking Teacher: I would love some ideas/thoughts on how to teach the students to use plot to comprehend if you have a chance. 

Me: Workin’ on it, sister!  

You? : _________________________________ 

No comments:

Post a Comment